- an overarching idea
- snippets of writing
- outline of the whole idea
- images/objects that inform the project
- character sketches
- lots of details, ideas, people, images etc.
First Stage of Organizing
- Treatment/Outline :
- Structuring Ideas with Cards:
- John August’s Hints useful for plotting, long-forms
Script Formatting Conventions
- Graphic Novel/Comic Books
- Screen Play – look at Philomena Script
- Stage Play
- Interactive Text
- Kurt Vonnegut on
- the Shape of Stories – Vonnegut is describing the emotional arc of a story.
- Syd Field, Robert McKee et al.
- McKee’s “Story:Style, Structure, Substance, and the Principles of Screenwriting”
- The Blake Snyder Beat Sheet – in a similar hollywood film tradition
- Interactive Story Structures by Ira Nayman
Dialog and Subtext
- Chas Harris – subtext