“… the textile and fashion industry is a key contributor to climate change, accounting for around 10% of global carbon emissions.” see first link below. What are the ethics of clothing and textiles? Design (and optionally prototype) a mobile app that speculates about the future of fashion. See the links below on the current state of the art and fast forward.
This is a mobile APP so what can users do with it? What functionality does it have. Here are some ideas:
- An app that lets you design/customize clothes.
- An app that lets you try on clothes.
- An app that gives a sustainability rating for clothing companies.
- An app that compares the sustainability of different textiles.
- A clothes sharing/swapping app.
- A guide to growing your own clothes.
You can dream something that is beyond your capacity to make. You can link to existing databases or one’s you imagine should exist.
Here are some links to get you thinking. You don’t have to read exhaustively through all of these but browse and spend more time on things you find interesting. Also feel free to do your own research.
- Can West Africa lead the way in creating a more sustainable textiles industry?
- Can plastic be a sustainable resource for clothing? Apex Mills on Sustainable Fabrics
- Center for Sustainable Fashion – London College of Fashion
- CO2 and clothing
- Fast Fashion – NEFFA clothing imagine a sustainable route for disposable clothing.
- Slow Fashion
- Growing your own clothes.
- Sustainable Fashion’s Diversity Problem
- Thrift Shopping
- Also Check out these hashtags #growyourownclothes, #sustainablefashion
Note: This is a group project. The focus is on the creative thinking and design phases. There are four key phases for this project:
- idea -> … spec -> … wireframe … -> prototype
- you are required to finish the first three, the fourth is optional
idea – brainstorm, generate multiple ideas, do research to get ideas flowing, keep the idea flexible. Answer the following
- Does this idea fit the brief? Will it change thinking and action about the ethics of clothing and textiles?
- “Is this idea technically feasible? Can this be made? What team member will do what? How will we go about making it? What sort of tools do we use? What sort of data/API do we need? What are the obstacles facing the implementation of the idea?
- Is someone else already doing this? Most things today are a remix. While that’s cool, what we can do better? What components of this idea differentiate it from existing ideas? How are we adding something new ?
- Could this be made simpler/differently? Are there other ways to accomplish the same goals? Or, are there other methods that could be more effective and take less time to execute?” Michael Flarup, What you should know about the app design process.
spec – (1-2 pages) put the idea in writing, your spec should include:
- name of app
- brief description of the app, what it does, how it fits the brief, how it fits the target audience
- brief description of visual style with reference image
- brief tech details, tools, platforms, development environments
- details of what each team member will do going forward
wireframe – mock up of the app screen by screen, should include:
- simple drawing of each screen
- style, layout, location of screen elements
- user flows from screen to screen
- indication of connections to databases or API outside the app
- you may start on paper but the finished wireframe must be digital and slick and convincing …
- you may include icon, logo, button, graphic designs
- Example below and more HERE
- demonstrate look and feel of the app
- focus on finishing the front end
- back end connections to databases etc. can be mocked up at this stage
- Note: in addition to programming the app you will need to make/obtain assets – i.e. the screen and design elements, graphics, UI buttons etc. etc.
Tech and Tools – there are many different tools you could use both for making the wireframe and the prototype. I suggest you use what you know as far as possible.
- powerpoint or similar
- photoshop, gimp or similar
- Camren Brown – 8 best free wireframe tools