DMS 331:: M/W 12:00-1:40 :: Remote – see UB learns for zoom link
Josephine Anstey, jranstey at buffalo, office hrs by email appointment.
THE SYLLABUS AND SCHEDULE MAY CHANGE, PLEASE CHECK BACK
In this production course students will become familiar with cross-platform web technologies for mobile and social media, in the context of a critical perspective of media culture. In fall 2021 the class will focus on podcasts, twitter bots, simple phone apps, AR (augmented reality) apps, social media posts, integrated website and social media presence. Students work at their own technical and media-critical level and are encouraged to embrace and explore unfamiliar technical and critical territory.
Upon Completion of the course student will be able to …
|1. Trace the development and contemporary trends of Social and Mobile Media||Reading/Playing Assignments, Class discussions, Presentations|
|2. Produce planning materials for Social and Mobile Media Projects||Production materials/projects|
|3. Use audio tools to make a podcast project.||Project|
|4. Use software tools to make a twitter bot project||Project|
|5. Use software tools to make a simple mobile phone project||Project|
|6. Use software tools to make a simple AR project||Project|
|7. Use software tools to make and link website, social media platforms||Project|
|8. Use remote tools for group collaboration.||Class discussions and presentations, projects.|
See details on Schedule 2021
Cathy O’Neil, Weapons of Math Destruction ebook in UB library.
Course Requirements and Grading:
- Reading, Participation and Attendance, – You are expected to come to class thoroughly rehearsed/read/played on the material (not simply skimmed) and prepared for engaged participation with written comments/questions about projects and articles. (25 points).
- Podcast Project – write script+record+edit (12.5 points)
- Twitterbot Project – botwiki report +proposal+working version (12.5 points)
- Simple Mobile App – idea+spec+wireframe[+prototype] (12.5 points)
- AR Apps – idea+spec+wireframe[+prototype] (12.5 points)
- Final Project – Web/Social Media Integration – Group Project (25 points)
- Design Doc (5 points)
- Weekly Reports (5 points)
- Working Demo (15 points) – CRITIQUES DEC 6 & 8
Production projects will be graded on creativity, effort, technical ability. Failure is OK, but the effort needs to be documented! Realistic ambition is encouraged. Backup your work!!!!
Most jobs now require that you work well with others so collaborative skills are a necessity. We will spend some time trying to figure out how to do this successfully! This course also focuses on working with others remotely.
- Video:: ON.
- Head in the middle of the frame.
- Camera steady/fixed in quiet and well lit space.
- Stay muted unless talking to reduce background noise.
- All materials shared on zoom will be applicable to the class and appropriate according to student code of conduct.
Attendance for every class is mandatory barring serious emergency or cultural/religious event. Each student is allowed two unexcused absences for whatever reason (e.g., illness, weather). If extenuating circumstances arise (e.g., serious medical problems, child care), please contact the instructor as soon as possible to address the situation. Barring emergency circumstances, each absence after two will drop lower the final grade by a full grade for each additional absence (i.e.,3 absences = B->C). Punctuality is also expected. For the purposes of grading, three tardies will equal one unexcused absence.
This class may include material dealing with ethical, political and moral concerns. I will make every effort to advise of any content that may be disturbing.
Please review UNIVERSITY POLICIES
- information about academic dishonesty, criteria for incompletes
- information about accessibility resources and academic resources
- information about student code of conduct & equity, diversity and inclusion policies
- warning about using WEAPONS as PROPS in student productions